Sunday, December 16, 2007

Behold Your Little Ones



A few days ago Nicholas came up to me with a blanket draped over his shoulders and said "Look Mommy! I am like Christ! He the proceeded to tell me that he was going to the tree to get some white fruit and that I should always be kind and good. Most kid his age dress up as spiderman or superman, and he wanted to be like Christ. At night when we put the kids to bed we sometimes put Nicholas to sleep in our bed until Christian falls asleep so they don't keep each other awake. 2 nights ago when Sam was moving Nicholas from our bed to his, he noticed that he had fallen asleep with a pen in his hand which he thought was strange but he didn't think much of it until he and I went to bed later that night and he discovered that Nicholas had taken that pen and scribbled all over my pillow. When I asked him about it the next morning he said that he was making a star so that Jesus could come. The First Presidency's message in the Ensign this month was titled "Behold your little ones". It talks about the Savior and reminds us of how in 3 Nephi, when he visited the people in America. He called all the children to him, and he blessed them. He told the people to "Behold your little ones". I thought about if my children were there, how he would hold them and adore them, and love them for all that they are, and not see all their little quirks that make me want to pull my hair out. I learned that I need to BEHOLD them, take them in and see them as the savior would. I have noticed that when I do, I am thankful for Nicholas' zeal for life and all that comes with it. I am able to cherish the star that now adorns my pillow because it is a symbol of Nicholas' testimony of our savior, his birth and life which was given to each of us.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Natalie - that made me cry. What a perfect insight...and what a sweet little boy.

Lisa/Scott said...

That chapter in the Book of Mormon always makes me cry...pregnant or not. It's definitely a favorite of mine. What a great time of year to remind me of that Chapter Natalie! Thank you for that. Your little Nicholas is definitely precious, and a lot of it has to do with the way you and Sam are raising him. You see? Some things may go in one ear and out the other, but he obviously catches on to the most important stuff. Merry Christmas!