Saturday, August 30, 2008

I was better off not knowing...


A tradition we have grown very fond of here in North Carolina is a pig picking. Basically they roast a pig and everyone eats it. Since it has been roasted for like a day or 2, the meat is VERY tender and juicy. We have been to several pig pickings since we moved here, and our ward has one every summer. I have to admit not having grown up on it, it is somewhat of an acquired taste since the sauce they use is tangy like vinegar, not sweet like the BBQ sauce I grew up with. But, by the time we had been here 2 years we found ourselves craving it, and we just couldn't get enough. Our ward had a pig picking today, and due to confusion in the food line, I ended up not getting any of the pig for myself, so I sent Sam to get me some. He brought back a plate full for us to share, and as I started eating it I noticed that this particular pig was incredibly tender and very tasty. When Sam noticed what I was eating he looked at me shocked and asked if I liked it. I said "Yeah, why?" He said "Well that part was the INTESTINE, and I didn't think you would eat it.". He was right, normally I wouldn't eat that part. EWEEEE! I was so grossed out by the fact that I had actually eaten pig intestine that I couldn't eat anything else, which is such a shame because there was a lot of good food there. I hope this doesn't sour my taste for pig picking forever!

4 comments:

Lisa/Scott said...

Lol Natalie you are so funny! No worries, I've had intestine, stomach, brains, liver, heart...you name it, and I'm still alive. I'm all about trying new foods, especially if it's part of the culture wherever I am. I find it totally fascinating.

Kathleen said...

Eat, don't look, just eat :) That's awesome, I had no idea you could even eat the intestine if you wanted to :)
K

Julene said...

EEEEEEEWWWWWW! I'm so sorry! YuckoRAMA! Looks like you survuved it though. Good job!

Amy said...

I'm pretty sure I ate chicken intestine in Japan since I couldn't speak Japanese and when I asked if they had chicken and rice he said, "chicken, chicken, chicken, rice". Yep well one of those chickens was heart and another was something else. I decided that the unidentified (but looked suspiciously like intestine) meat I was eating was sooooo good that I'd pretend it was anything BUT intestine.

But don't think I'd eat pig intestine on purpose. I'm with you, it is better not knowing!