Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Guess What!!!???




IT SNOWED TODAY!!!!!!!!! When I opened the window this morning, I saw a very unusual sight. A blanket of white snow covering everything! My boys were ecstatic! "Yea!!!! Mom Can we go outside and build a snowman with a carrot and throw snowballs and go ice skating?" It only snows here once or twice a year. Most of the time when it does, it melts as soon as it hits the ground. This is great because I think snow is fun for a day to play in, but I otherwise hate living with it. However it is a problem for the people who have lived here all their lives because they have no idea how to drive in the snow. Even though there wasn't more than an inch or two of snow on the road, there were 24 accidents in Durham before 10 am this morning. Since this is the case, they just shut everything down so that no one has to drive in it. That's right school was canceled today for the snow, and it's canceled for tomorrow because the snow didn't melt all the way yet. Being from Utah this is insane because we could have a foot of snow on the road and still have to go to school. But in a small way I was glad that school was canceled because I got to go out and play in the snow with my boys. We put on as many layers as we could since my boys don't really have snow clothes, and went out to play with all the neighbor kids. They had a blast throwing snow, making snow angels, pretending to ice skate by sliding their feet, and for some odd reason they really loved wiping the snow off of all the cars, all the while Nicholas was grinning from ear to ear saying "This is sooo fun!". My favorite though was that they tried to play like they normally do outside, you know riding bikes and scooters, which didn't work very well. After about an hour when my boys feet finally started to freeze (all they have is canvas shoes which got wet pretty quick!) we went in to warm up with a nice cup of hot chocolate and plenty of mini marshmallows. It was a great morning!





6 comments:

Amy said...

I'm like you. Snow is pretty to look at, fun to play in for a day, but I don't like living in it. Shoveling, scraping, hiking in it... no thanks! We enjoyed the snow too, and your kids looked nice and bundled to me.

Oh and I totally roll my eyes at the Durham snow driving... sheesh!

Lindsay said...

Fun! We had a great time, too...but after reading your post, it made me miss living next to you guys (again) - it would have been so fun to share it with more friends! :)

Benjamin Brady said...

We are still waiting for the snow to melt from two weeks ago...but just like Nicholas, when the snow first fell, Kate drug me outside to play with her. Arch was to small so I got to be her play friend. When Arch is Christian and then Nicholas' age I don't know if they will be more excited about the snow than their mom is. We are getting her snow boots for her b-day this year, she wants more than just an hour of fun!!!!

Loved the pictures, say hi to the boys from aunt and uncle and cousin!

Cindy said...

How fun that we've all blogged about the snow!! And I hear you about those cold feet. You should have seen my

Julene said...

Aaaah gotta love playing in the snow! It's actually been a while since I just played in the snow!

Vanisi79 said...

Looks like frosting on a cake!! Closing school for that, yeesh.
;p