Thursday, September 20, 2007

I hate ticks!

North Carolina is tick country, so if you live here you just get used to them and they are an everyday pest. well I am not from North Carolina and so I 'm not used to them yet. Infact my great great grandfather died from a tick bit. So naturally I am scared to death of them, which is a bad thing because this place is crawling with them. This morning while I was changing christian's clothes I found one stuck in the fat roll of his armpit. I freaked out! I was so mad at the thing for climbing on my baby. I didn't know what to do because I didn't want to pull it off wrong and have it's head come off or something. sam said to put vasiline on it to make it come out, but since christian still crawls he uses his arm too much and he wipes it all away. I couldn't light a match to it's bum to make it crawl out either, I mean can you imagine trying to hold a 10 month old still enough to hold a lit match to the fat roll in his armpit? yeah right. luckily I had a visiting teaching appointment this morning with a lady who is a native North Carolinian. She has 5 boys and she said that she pulls at least one tick off of her kids everyday! she effortlessly pulled it off and put it in her tick burner-a jar candle, they put the tick in and then light it and the melting wax kills and traps it. The tick burner was filled with ticks! Yuck! I hate them!

3 comments:

Lisa/Scott said...

oh nasty! I'm afraid of ticks too. I would have had such a compulsion with getting it away from my kid that I would have made Scott hold her down while I took care of it, even if she screamed. Cruel, yes...but it would have been a psychological need to get it out right away for me. I'm glad that Christian didn't feel the effects of it all.

Princess Kathleen said...

Poor Christian! Ewww! Ticks scare me as well, but at least the lady knew how to get rid of them! Good thing you noticed it quickly enough!

Katie said...

Natalie...the way you worded that was so funny...I laughed out loud at the part about holding the lit match to Christian's armpit! My boys have also had lots of ticks here...in even worse places.