Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Watch what you say

About a year ago Nicholas started saying C*R*A*P (spelt, not said), and when I heard it come out of his tiny little 2 year old mouth it sounded terrible, so we instigated the "no no" word. It really amazes me how much he listens to me when I don't think he does, becuase he was always the first one to catch you it you said the" no no" word. Sometimes I wouldn't even realize I had said it. After a few months we all got pretty good at watching what we say. Well a new problem seems to be arising. The other day Nichloas was putting on his pants, but he had them on backwards, and I kept on saying you need to take them off, turn them around and then put them on. Finally after about the 3rd time he listened and took them off, turned HIMSELF around and then picked up his pants and proceeded to put them on backwards again. Some friends and I do a co-op preschool, and today was my turn to teach. I was singing a song with the kids and I said reach down and touch your toes. Immediately one of the boys started to take off his shoes so he could touch his toes, I didn't mean actually touch his toes, the end of his shoes would be fine. So I guess my new problem is that I have to watch what I say, not because it's bad, but because it can sometimes be taken wrong. My sister Michelle called me this week because her 3rd daughter has serious 3rd child syndrome, which I admittedly had as well which means you feel left out, unloved, and everything is unfair, so you are as obnoxious as possible in order to get any kind of recognition. She asked me what I thought she should do because she didn't think she treated mackenna any differently than her other children. It remided me of something the Prophet Joseph Smith once said about the many people who claimed to be offended by him. He said that when someone accused him of offending them in some way he would always apologize becuase inevitably if he thought about it he could always see that there was some amount of merit to the accusation and weather he meant to or not he had offended them. It makes me wonder how many times I have said something that I didn't realize could be taken another way. Or better yet how many times I've been offended by someone who hadn't actually meant what I thought they said or did. I guess that is why we've been taught to forgive others, even if we feel like we have been wronged and the offender doesn't appoligize. We leave the judging to Christ who is the only one who really knows our hearts and intentions.

2 comments:

Lisa/Scott said...

I know what you mean...lately Crystal has started saying "GO AWAY!" whenever Scott and I are bugging her...that came from me unfortunately. Whenever anyone starts to bug me I tell them to go away. Even though half the time I'm teasing, she doesn't realize that. She's also saying "Yeah baby!" whenever she gets excited. I think that one came from Shrek.

Princess Kathleen said...

That's cute! Hey, spelling out the word gets Nicholas spelling early! ;)