Monday, November 24, 2008

Here it is folks....

You might be wondering what that 'special' dish is that you are going to make for Thanksgiving this year. You might be looking through all kinds of cook books, trying to find something to WOW your guests. Well look no further! I've got what you need, and it's a lot easier than you think. You see 2 years ago Christian was born the day before Thanksgiving. Sam thinks the Heavens were smiling down on us that day. Not because we were blessed with a beautiful baby boy who was delivered by an Angel-literally the doctors name was Angel. This was great, but the reason the Heavens were smiling down on us is because instead of the usual meals ward members bring when a new baby comes, several people got together and brought us a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner (which fed us for at least 3 or 4 days!). It was all so yummy that I hate to pick favorites, but the sweet potato casserole was something we will never forget. I had never before even liked sweet potatoes, but Sam made me try them. We found ourselves fighting over the last few bites. Of course Sam nagged me endlessly until I got the recipe from the lady who brought it. Since then we have made it several times, not just on Thanksgiving, but for just about any occasion we can think of, and I have yet to come across someone who didn't like it. In fact the most common comment we hear is "I have never liked sweet potatoes until this moment!" So if you are looking for that dish that will be talked about for years to come, here it is...

Sweet Potato Casserole

1-40 oz can of sweet potatoes drained and mashed
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla

Mix ingredients together. Pour into buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with mini marshmallows and bake at 300 F until lightly browned, about 45 mins- 1 hour.

Please resist the urge to spice it up with cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice. This is a typical southern recipe and it is perfect as is.

Happy Thanksgiving and Enjoy!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

I can't wait to try this!

Julene said...

It was actually really good. I don't really like sweet potatoes, but I actually liked this recipe. Gabe LOVED it as well! Thanks!

Tasha said...

Hey Guys- This is Tasha- I need your address for Christmas Cards! Email me tashaetaylor@hotmail.com- Thanks!