Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wait, didn't I JUST do this?


Oh that's right, I did. Just under a year ago now I finally potty trained Nicholas after 6 long months of ridiculousness. Nick screaming "I don't like it mommy! I don't like it!" as he sat on the potty (Heaven only knows what the neighbors thought was happening!) Hiding in corners to mess his pants. I would make him drink 2 large sippy cups of water and then stick him on the potty, and 2 and a half hours later he would start to cry "I'm cold! I need my diaper back on!" so that he could pee in it. I tried everything people told me, none of it worked. 'Cold showers' only made him constipated because he would hold it in for days so he wouldn't get one. He was almost 3 and a half before he finally gave in. It was a nightmare I didn't want to repeat. You can only imagine the panic I felt when a few weeks ago Christian, who won't even be 2 until November 22, came up to me and said "Poo poo, mamma!", and had nothing in his pants-he was ASKING to go! Could I really do this again? I put him on the potty and he went. I was supposed to have at least a year before I had to do this again! I should have known it was coming. The kid has been obsessed with toilets all his life. EVERY-TIME we left the bathroom door open and the toilet seat up we would catch him in there splashing away. One of the worst days of my life was when he figured out how to lift up the lip by himself. After 2 weeks of Christian repeatedly telling me that he needed to use the potty, I decided I'd better do it when he while he's still really into it. So we went out and let Christian choose his pull-ups. He insisted on 'Go Diego' ones. He loves them. Several times I've caught him with the package hugging it. We've been going at it for almost a week now, and he's doing great! Yesterday he only had one accident! Today he had 2 but that's because the toilets at Target make him nervous. He even wakes up dry from his naps! I'm still not sure if I'm up for all this, but it's happening weather I like it or not!

6 comments:

Mike and Jana Black said...

Ah potty training, nothing like it in the world. That's how my second was, she just started doing it. It was nice, but she had more accidents, I think because of her age, which was 2 1/2 when she started.

Lindsay said...

You deserve an easy one after Nicolas' experience! I'm glad it's going well for you guys!

The Kimber Crew said...

Good luck, Natalie. Christian, I'm sure will give you an easier time than Nicholas, bless his heart. That is definitely one of those parenting moments I am least looking forward too!

Julene said...

Aaah he hugs his pull-ups! So cute. :) Maybe he'll make it easier on you, since it's his idea this time around.

Mike and Jana Black said...

I tagged you.

Amy said...

PT is a bad word at our house. I struggled with Abby too, but not for 6 months, try 4 years. That's right, even up until this year she was having accidents whenever she felt like it. But I agree that if Christian is showing interest, then go for it! I'm planning on training Iris when she is either 15 or can tell me she wants to go on the potty.